Making your visit to Mason Neck State Park the most enjoyable it can be is as easy as having the right equipment. We’re not talking fancy, hard-to-find equipment here, just a few simple things you should always bring when you visit Mason Neck, whether alone or with your children. If you’ve never visited us before, you may not know that the Bald Eagles are best seen with binoculars. Unaided you may see just distant specks; with the binoculars you can fully admire the majestic birds as they soar over Belmont Bay. You’ll also find hiking in nature much more comfortable if you’re wearing the right clothes.
- -Bird field guide, or other wildlife guides to match your interests.
- -Good hiking shoes, preferably water resistant/mudproof.
- -Bottle of drinking water.
- -Rain gear just in case.
- -Bug spray.
- -A hat to shade you from the sun, shed rain and even deter bugs.
- -Your common sense. Pay attention to park signs, trail markers and the weather, e.g. darkening clouds or rising winds.
- -Shorts. It may be hot outside, but believe me, you won’t like the mosquitoes or the ticks that can bite your bare skin.
- -Less-than-trailworthy shoes such as sandals, flip-flops or dress shoes. Happy feet make for a happy hiker.
We look forward to seeing you here at Mason Neck!