Where to stay when visiting Smith Mountain Lake?
Try the Smith Mountain Lake State Park, it is centrally located waterfront, right on the lake.
Waterfront cabin at Smith Mountain Lake
Beach and boat rentals at Smith Mountain Lake State Park
Visit Smith Mountain Lake website here for a list of upcoming events. The SML Wine Festival is a huge two day affair, with arts and crafts, live music and more! Other famil fun events are the Annual Antique and Classic Boat Show, Charity Home Tour, Fall Craft and Chili Festival, Bassmasters Tournaments, etc.
About Smith Mountain Lake State Park
Although situated on the second largest body of freshwater in the state, Smith Mountain Lake State Park is not just for water enthusiasts. In addition to a full range of water related activities, including swimming, fishing and boating, the park offers miles of hiking trails, housekeeping cabins, camping, picnicking, a visitor center and interpretive programs.
The park is on the north shore of Smith Mountain Lake in Bedford County, approximately 40 miles from both Lynchburg and Roanoke and 140 miles from Richmond. To get there, take U.S. 460 to Route 122 South to Moneta, then go east on Route 608 to White House. Next go south on Route 626 for two miles to park entrance.
Click herefor a Google map. Latitude, 37.079625. Longitude, -79.610993.
Two-bedroom frame, 11; two-bedroom frame waterview, 8; three-bedroom frame, 1
- -Wood stoves (no fireplace)
- -Kitchen: Refrigerator, stove, coffeemaker, dishes, dishcloth, a few dish towels, silverware, cooking utensils, pots and pans, microwave oven, toaster, electric can-openers, clock radios, etc. Bring food and extra dish towels, coffee filters, coffee, salt and pepper and nonstick cooking spray. No dishwasher, telephone, TV, washer/dryer.
- -Living area: Fold-out sofa (sleeps two), dining table, benches
- -Bedrooms: Beds and nightstands, dresser, closet with hangers, clock radio
- -One set of linens per bed and one set of towels per person
- -Swimming and boat launching free for overnight guests
- -Docks are available at the cabins, but guests must park their boat trailer in the overflow parking lot. There's no electricity at the overflow lot or the boat docks. Each cabin has one slip.
- -The two-bedroom cabins are meant to sleep four. Six are allowed, but this relies on using a fold-out sofa for the two extra people. Each has a queen bed, two singles and a fold-out sofa, but it's a tight fit when fully occupied
- -The three-bedroom cabin sleeps eight and has two queen beds, two singles and a foldout couch; two bathrooms (one handicapped accessible; the other has a tub)
- -Picnic table and pedestal grill in yard per cabin; open porch with rocking chairs
- -Firewood: The park provides one bundle of complimentary firewood. Extra firewood is available for a nominal fee.
- -TV and VCR rentals are available to cabin guests.
- -The cabins have rustic furniture; linens are included (one set per person for six people). Cabins are climate controlled (heat and AC).
- -Consider bringing extra bath towels, body wash or soap, board games and playing cards.
Fishing, Boating, Picnicking and Sightseeing
Various festivals year-round around the lake. Call Smith Mountain Lake Chamber of Commerce at 1-800-676-8203 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and visitwww.bridgewaterplaza.comto learn more about the concession that handles boat rentals at the park.
Click hereVirginia State Park Fees and Seasons. Rental rates for cabins and camping vary by season, offering and park. Rates are subject to verification by DCR's state parks reservations staff (1-800-933-PARK).