Have you ever gone camping at your favorite Virginia State Parkonly to have the skies open up and pour down rain?
What else can we do if it rains?
Read guest blogger Dianne Mills' article on Rainy Day Fun at Smith Mountain Lakefor some ideas of other things to do when the weather just won't cooperate!
You are so happy to be at Smith Mountain Lake State Park, but you just checked the weather forecast, and ugh…it’s going to be a rainy day. Don’t despair! There are plenty of fun things to do that won’t dampen your Smith Mountain Lake summer vacation. Here’s a list of eight great rainy day ideas to get you started:
1. Play in the rain. Hey, if you can’t beat ‘em; join ‘em. You get wet swimming anyway…so a little rain is no big deal. (But remember when thunder roars head indoors, even if you think it is far away!)
2. Learn a little history. Booker T. Washington National Monument both have visitor centers with exhibits, films to watch, and interactive things to do. Use the rainy day as an opportunity to learn more about the area.
3. Shop till you drop. There are charming shops at Emerson Creek Pottery about 30 minutes away off State Road 725.
4. If you have children, Amazement Square, in Lynchburg is the place to be. Amazement Square is a multidisciplinary, hands-on children’s museum. Climb, slide, and discover through four floors of exciting, interactive exhibits, activities, and programs. The drive may take about an hour but the kids will want to play for days.
5. Inside Hot Shots on Route 122 you will find over 20 of your favorite video arcade games. Test your driving skills at Talladega or see if you are the next pinball wizard. Don’t let rain dampen your day’s plans; spend some time at Hot Shots fine tuning your arcade skills.
6. Think about rainy days when planning your vacation and consider spending time in the Discovery Center at the Park, check with the office for a list of indoor activities and interpretive programs they may have planned during your stay.
7. Schedule some spa time. Call Jenniferalise at Smith Mountain Lake Massage and Spa and see if she has an opening. What could be more therapeutic than an “escape to serenity” with a massage and beauty treatment to help you relax, rejuvenate, and replenish on a rainy day.
8. Take a cruise on the Virginia Dare. Check to see if a narrated cruise is available and enjoy lunch in their indoor dining area while you cruise the lake to see for yourself why Smith Mountain Lake is such a desirable vacation destination…even in the rain.
There are lots of fun and enriching things to do that are perfect for a rainy day at Smith Mountain Lake. Have you ever been to Smith Mountain Lake State Park on a rainy day? What did you do for fun?