"A new study shows that roughly half of American preschoolers are not taken outside at least once a day to play. Do we take our dogs outside more than we do our small children?" – Children and Nature Network.
Let us go outside and play, we're kids!
I don't know about you, but that statement byChildren and Nature Networkgave me a lump in my throat.
Children and Nature states:Only 51% of preschool-age children are taken outside to play at least once a day by a parent, a large study of U.S. families showed. Girls, nonwhite children, and those in some types of daycare were all less likely to have a parent take them outside every…
- – Read the entire article "Nearly half of pre-schoolers not playing outside" here
- – Read more from the study "No Outdoor Play for Many Kids" here
- – It is not just here in the USA, read the article "Nature-Deficit Disorder Damaging Britain’s Children"
- – If you are a parent, grandparent, teacher, AWANA leader, family member or friend and want to know what you can do about this epidemic click here.
The article continues to say: The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children play outside as much as possible, for at least 60 minutes a day. Physical activity is not only good for weight control and preventing childhood obesity; previous research also suggests playing outside improves motor development, vision and vitamin D levels.
The Nitty Gritty
So now to the nitty gritty of why I am sharing this, other than to feel ill about our kids growing up locked inside with artificial and electronic entertainment…how about taking the kids, the dog and a picnic lunch to a Virginia State Park? You can walk the Kid, the Dog and the Mom and Dad!
- 1. Spending quality time together
- 2. Exercise
- 3. Fresh Air
- 4. Sunshine and Vitamin D
- 5. Mobility and Motor Development
- 6. Interaction
- 7. Wildlife Viewing
- 8. Exploration and Creativity
- 9. Fun
Let us out to explore and be kids!
Virginia State Parks has 35 parks to choose from, click here to see which park interests you and your family (directions are on each page) see you outside soon. JUST DO IT!