On Veterans Day we honor and thank all who served in the United States Armed Forces. Virginia State Parks will continue its tradition of honoring veterans by waiving parking and entrance fees for all visitors that day.
All 35 Virginia State Parks will also offer special programming on Sunday, November 11 in honor of Veterans Day.
- Sailors Creek Battlefield Historical State Park invites the public to participate in the lighting of 500 luminaries along with guided battlefield walks.
A Marine places a luminary at Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park
in honor of Veterans Day
- Staunton River Battlefield will read personal accounts written by soldiers that participated in the Battle of Staunton River Bridge.
- Storytellers aided by audio-visual components will detail military service from the Revolutionary War up to the ongoing War Against Terrorism in a night time campfire program at Mason Neck State Park.
- Friends of Sky Meadows State Park will host a 5K walk-a-thon to support the Wounded Warrior Project. There will be prizes for the highest pledge amounts. Music by the Carolina Mountain Band and a guest speaker will round out the activities.
- Bring a photograph of a friend or family member who served to create a temporary wall of honor at Leesylvania State Park.
- Pocahontas state parks will hold workshops to create care packages for patients of McGuire Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Richmond.
Volunteers make care packages for hospitalized Veterans
at Belle Isle for Veterans Day 2011
- Local VFW posts and American Legion chapters will hold a special Veterans Day flag ceremony at Westmoreland State Park.
- Re-enactors will honor veterans serving from the Revolutionary War to present day with a passing of historical flags at Wilderness Road State Park.
- Several state parks across the Commonwealth will hold flag retirement ceremonies including Natural Tunnel.
For details on these programs and all of the special events planned at list here.
For directions to the park or details about overnight accommodations, please check the individual park website by clicking on the park name here. Always use the link to Google directions on our website, Mapquest and many GPS programs may take you to somewhere other than our park!
To make a reservation for a camping or cabin stay, please call 800-933-7275 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or book online any time by clicking here.